My study of the scriptures has had a profound effect on my life. As I have studied, I have grown closer to God and found answers to real challenges in my life. This blog is a scripture journal that records insights I have discovered in the past and continue to gain as I search, ponder, and pray.

Monday, February 21, 2011

What Are You Most Afraid Of?

Recently I answered one of the many getting to know you surveys that circulates through emails. One of the questions was "What are you most afraid of?" I forgot my most immediate fear, mice. Instead, I gave a half flippant, half honest answer.

What are you most afraid of? "days before the second coming (sometimes I think I live in a perpetual state of fear....)."

My insightful mother-in-law suggested that I read the scriptures and look for scriptures that urge us not to fear. She sited a few examples: "If ye are prepared ye shall not fear." "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and He shall direct thy paths." "Fear not, little flock, for I am with thee." "I cannot forget thee, I have engraven you upon the palms of my hands.""Have faith, and be believing, and all things shall work together for your good, if ye faint not."


I opened up my scriptures program and searched for the words "fear not."

Did you know that the phrase "fear not" occurs 97 times in the scriptures? Not all of them are about having faith, but many of them are. After reading them, I was comforted, even though I didn't know I needed to be at the moment. You should try it some time!

Below are are few scriptures that stood out to me.

…the word of the LORD came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward. (Old Testament | Genesis 15:1)

And the LORD appeared … and said, I am the God of Abraham thy father: fear not, for I am with thee…. (Old Testament | Genesis 26:24)

Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the LORD thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee. (Old Testament | Deuteronomy 31:6)

And Elijah said unto her, Fear not; go and do as thou hast said: but make me thereof a little cake first, and bring it unto me, and after make for thee and for thy son. (Old Testament | 1 Kings 17:13)

And he answered, Fear not: for they that be with us are more than they that be with them. (Old Testament | 2 Kings 6:16)

For I the LORD thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee. (Old Testament | Isaiah 41:13)

BUT now thus saith the LORD that created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O Israel, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine. (Old Testament | Isaiah 43:1)

And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. (New Testament | Luke 2:10)

But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows. (New Testament | Luke 12:7)

And it came to pass that Nephi and Lehi did stand forth and began to speak unto them, saying: Fear not, for behold, it is God that has shown unto you this marvelous thing, in the which is shown unto you that ye cannot lay your hands on us to slay us. (Book of Mormon | Helaman 5:26)

Therefore, fear not, little flock; do good; let earth and hell combine against you, for if ye are built upon my rock, they cannot prevail. (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 6:34)

Fear not, little children, for you are mine, and I have overcome the world, and you are of them that my Father hath given me. (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 50:41)

Wherefore, fear not even unto death; for in this world your joy is not full, but in me your joy is full. (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 101:36)

Therefore, hold on thy way, and the priesthood shall remain with thee; for their bounds are set, they cannot pass. Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever. (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 122:9)

Go thy way and do as I have told you, and fear not thine enemies; for they shall not have power to stop my work. (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 136:17)

2 comments:

  1. I recently felt I should look up all the scriptures on "peace" and "be still." Sometimes we need the reminder of all of those things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though there are so many scriptures of chastening and warning in the scriptures is sweet to know that there are so many telling us to "be not afraid"

    ReplyDelete